Planning Project 1

Lately, revisiting my work is not a rare activity for me, and I sometimes scroll through the old documents on my laptop, curious about my old works, and I read them over and over. I laugh at how smart I tried to sound when I was in high school; I smile at some of my favorite pieces I have ever written, and wonder whether I should have shared them with the world; I shudder reading works from different phases of my life, thinking, did I really write that? One of my favorite things about writing is the way it connects me to memories, as I put myself back into that desk chair and that moment in my life when I felt whatever those words claim I did. Writing allows me to slow things down for a moment, reflect on who I used to be, and consider how I have grown.

It was extremely difficult for me to decide which pieces to consider as potential options for my repurposing assignment. There are so many pieces that I already love that could be turned into something completely different, and I am excited to explore the potential that they have. However, I worry that I will not be able to fully mentally let go of the original pieces, and my imagination could be clouded by the ideas I voiced in the initial works. I have selected two of my favorite pieces—pieces that remind me of two very different versions of myself, yet they both focus on the same period of time in my life.

One piece is always the first piece that I think of whenever I think of my favorite piece of writing. It is a narrative essay discussing my inability to successfully drive a car during my senior year of high school; I spend the majority of the essay mocking and laughing at myself, and I cannot even manage to read a sentence of it without hearing my sarcastic voice in my head. However, this paper is the safer of the two options, as it is lighthearted and exemplifies my sense of humor and the surface of my personality. I love this essay, but I am yet to find an alternative approach that I could take that excites me as much as the initial one.

The other piece is simultaneously lighthearted and sentimental, but I selected it because I have a very different approach in mind. At the end of my senior year of high school, I gave a speech on behalf of the senior class, at the Senior Dinner, in front of the senior class and our families, as well as the faculty. Because my graduating class was only thirty students, I had an extremely unique high school experience, and the speech allowed me to explore ideas and memories that only that specific audience could understand and really appreciate. In repurposing this speech, I would rewrite it to a different audience, and revisit it with two years of college under my belt, in hopes of reflecting on my growth and finding answers to questions that I did not even know I had.