Reflection of How Writing Leads to Thinking

In How Writing Leads to Thinking, Lynn Hunt explains writing as a torturous and rewarding system, “a magical and mysterious process that makes it possible the think differently.” Similar to myself, Hunt bounces between extremes in her process: writing and researching excessively, destroying her works in progress, or refusing to write for fear that her mind is void of original ideas. She claims that these inefficiencies do not come from the mind of the writer, but because of their psychological state. The idea of creating a reflection of themselves for is terrifying, but Hunt argues that writing something clear and meaningful so that she might “stand up before the firing line and discover that no one ordered [her] execution” relieves that worry. I believe that as the Minor requires students to publicly display their work, this fear of harsh critiques will subside as few people offer them. I hope that this allows me the same confidence and steadfastness in my writing process to implement Hunt’s “radish rule”, as steady writing will be necessary in my future career. Also, since writing correlates so greatly with thinking, implementing Hunt’s methods of patience and endurance in composition will help establish a healthy and positive way of problem solving for my other academic disciplines.

2 thoughts to “Reflection of How Writing Leads to Thinking”

1. I know that I’m always worried about how people will respond to my writing. That’s part of the reason I’m in the Minor in the first place! But I agree, I feel like this group of people creates a safe community of constructive criticism instead of malicious critique. Also, I like how you’re thinking how these thinking skills can be transferable to other disciplines, just as learning how to write will help all of us in whatever career we choose.

2. So many things in life are black and white, and I love how you emphasize the black and white point that Hunt makes about writing, such that writing has two extremes where you either have a million ideas running through your head and you are furiously writing them down, or you are completely blocked, staring at a blank page. I like your motivation to find a healthy way of problem solving throughout the minor and your other classes, though I do not think you should be so hard on yourself. Writing is a beautiful process, and even if you find yourself at one of the two extremes, writing can never be unhealthy.