Blogging My Process

The best analogy I can use to describe my process with this project and where I stand right now is an amusement park. When I first entered the project I was overwhelmed with all of the choices before me. Would I ride the tilt-a-whirl first? Maybe start slow with the ferris wheel? Or would I skip the rides and go straight for the arcade games? Once the dust had settled and my initial excitement wore off I made a clear plan of action. First I’d ride the teacups, then the tilt-a-whirl, then the demon drop, and finish with Freakout, the scariest and best ride. But then along the way I lost my shoe on one of the rides and now I don’t know where to find it. This is essentially how I feel right now about this project. I used to have a clear plan of action. I wanted to write a series of articles for the online women’s community Hello Giggles that discussed varying female related struggles. Then I found the blog site Brain Pickings and toyed with the idea of focusing on one topic and writing a more in-depth well researched blog post.

And here I am looking for my shoe…

I know I just have to start writing. First drafts are supposed to be messy and disorganized, but I’m finding it hard to even pick a topic to start on. The few I have been considering center around relationships, self image, and differences between the sexes (when it comes to dating). The more I think about it, the more I start to doubt my direction. Are my ideas original enough? I think i’m dealing with commonly talked about things, which is why how I choose to write it/what I choose to incorporate will make all the difference between blah and awesome. I think the best place for me to start is in the personal anecdote section of my re-purposing. Perhaps once I am able to recount the original source that made me want to write about these topics in the first place, my clarity will return.

Even though I came into this project with some idea of the specific issues I wanted to discuss, I think at this point it would be helpful to hear what other people remember struggling with in their lives (even if they completely stray from my original topic choices and even if you’re a boy and don’t think any of this is relevant to you, because it definitely is!). I really want to address things that are relevant to many people so please offer any feedback.

2 thoughts to “Blogging My Process”

1. Brenna, I have always thought part of your project’s beauty would be how common your topics are! When we go through struggles, we love hearing about how other people have gone through the same – it makes us feel less alone. The problem is, a lot of us are tentative to write about our struggles with depth and honesty. If you write about your common struggles (bullying, romantic struggles, growing up, etc.) with sincerity, it will definitely attract your audience. As a boy, I dealt with self-image doubts growing up. I was always really short and small, and I knew that there was nothing I could do about it. I chased after plenty of crushes who never ended up liking me back (and I was pretty sure that this had something to do with my smallness). These kinds of struggles are relevant to almost everybody. Because of this, your project will make people feel better. I don’t think you need to be doubting yourself, especially at this stage. I would encourage you to start writing and see where it takes you!

2. I completely agree with Jon about how your common topics should not discourage you at all. The ideas you want to write about are ideas that everyone is constantly looking for new perspectives on, new advice about, and someone new to show that others experience the same worries and difficulties that they do. I think that you have a really unique way of writing, and this will make your piece stand out. Once you start writing, it will be easier to see where exactly your mind wants to take you with these topics. It will be fun for you to just be completely honest as you write your first draft, and maybe you’ll find out things about yourself and the way these topics relate to you that you didn’t know before. I agree that starting with the personal anecdote will give you some clarity about where your project is heading, so I would trust that and just start letting your ideas out.