Blogging Your Process

Finally, I feel like my project is starting to take off! Using outside sources, I finally found the inspiration I needed in order to break through and commit to my topic. I was pretty stuck at first, and I was worried that because I was so committed to writing a work of fiction, specifically a short story, I was limiting myself and making it more difficult. However, after reading two short stories that deal with issues of time passage and growing up, I became confident that there are ways to tell a story in the way that I hope to tell it without falling into a cliché. One of the stories that I read is about reflecting on the past and appreciating it, and the other is about carrying your years with you as you get older. I have given a lot of thought to both of these ideas myself, and while these ideas intersect, they are actually quite different. These pieces assure me that not only are there ways to tell the type of story that I want to tell, but also infinite ways to do so, and I can find a way to tell a story that has never been told before.

As my project progresses, there are still some concerns that I have not yet resolved. Because I am writing a work of fiction, I plan to use my sources more for inspiration rather than for research. Part of the reason I am doing this is because I am not sure about how to cite in a work of fiction. I wonder what credibility needs to be established, and how I would include research in a narrative fictional story without sounding awkward and out of place.

My other concern is my audience, as I understand that the point of this project is to find a new one. I am not struggling to shift my audience at all—I know that my audience will not be my high school graduating class, as it was for my graduation speech—but rather that I am not yet sure who I want my audience to be. Is this a decision that I need to make now? We have discussed how writing is a journey, and how the final draft can end up with very different ideas from the first draft, so I am wondering if I need to commit to an audience at the beginning of this journey. I think that maybe, as I write, and as the piece comes together, I can let the piece figure out exactly who it wants to speak to, and I can help it really commit to that audience as it develops.

2 thoughts to “Blogging Your Process”

1. I’m in a very similar boat! Writing fiction is kind of intimidating since we’ve been trained to write essays our whole academic lives. The dichotomy of your two stories is really interesting, because your audience is younger than you and the topic of your speech is about moving forward (if I remember correctly). So you have a lot of different ways you can frame this.
    In regards to credibility, I have no idea. I’d never considered that, however the stories I’m citing in my bibliography is Winnie-the-Pooh and perhaps a few Roald Dahl novels, which seem to be popular enough that they’d be credible for the purposes of this project. Fiction is hard, because who’s to tell you it’s not good enough?
    Finally, I’m also struggling with my audience a little bit, because a 5-7 year old range seems broad. I guess by this time they haven’t really differentiated in interests that much, but young fiction has historical fiction, science fiction, fantasy. I agree that as you write it will probably sort itself out. Or at least I really hope so!

2. I understand the struggle with not knowing how to cite individual sources for a children’s story, but I encourage you to look into the science behind why time seems to pass faster as we get older or how why we never feel as old as we are. Many children’s stories have a lot of understood research behind them, but the author has the freedom to leave out citations since they’re not taking individual facts. For example, the movie “Where the Wild Things Are” had tons of research behind adult mental illness within it, but the producers didn’t have to cite any specific sources since its not a convention of their genre.

Also, I think its smart for you to wait and let your piece figure out who its audience will be. After you know what you want to say, you’ll be better able to find a way for it to be heard.