Blogging Your Progress

It was definitely nice to have some time in class today to sit back and think about my re-purposing project. Outside of the Writing 220 classroom, I feel a thousand distractions pulling me a hundred different ways, but inside today was quite calm as I sat there in front of my laptop while Jack Johnson Pandora played in the background. I am beginning to think that I need to find myself a place on campus that I can designate as my “writing space”, a place that I do not associate with my other school work and concerns. Perhaps there I can find peace.

As I have learned with any research paper I have ever written, the research part is a crucial first step. Unlike my original piece that I am modeling this one off of, I cannot just begin writing and pull from my own thoughts and experiences as I go. No, I realized today as I looked around at everyone else beginning their shitty first drafts that I was still a ways off from that. Instead, I began the next best thing: an outline. I currently do research on campus in which I am in the process of also writing a research paper, so luckily I feel confident that I will know the steps that I need to take to make an outline and turn it into a full piece.

This first draft is due the 15th, correct? That gives me 10 days to conduct my research, plan my thoughts, and get it all out into a draft that may or may not be absolute shit. This means that I cannot get too caught up in the “research” part of my research paper, something that I have been prone to doing in the past. I’m hoping to finish collecting all of my multimodal sources within the next week and have a plan for how I would like to use all of them, and then that will give me roughly 4 days to get that first draft out.

I guess my biggest fear at this point is that I will really delve into my research, and I will find that I cannot make of it what my vision has been all along. By that point, I’m not sure if it will be too late to change the way I re-purpose the document. The hardest part with all of this is that so much of my final work is going to be based off of previous work that I have not found yet, more so than the piece that I am actually re-purposing.

Anyways, at this point I have my fingers crossed that my vision will be able to come to life. Either way, I look forward to having something to show Shelley and talk about. I’m ready for this project to be underway.

2 thoughts to “Blogging Your Progress”

1. I share a similar fear with my piece – that I will trap myself into working on something I no longer am inspired by. I like how you are approaching your project with the mindset that it is okay to not be on the same page as every one else. I think it is easy to get caught up in comparing ourselves to our peers – especially when it comes to writing. At the end of the day, it is important to remember that every one is different and has different learning styles/work ethics. Having an outline should be extremely helpful – especially if you are using research. I think it will help organize your thoughts as well as how your data corresponds. Don’t be afraid to start writing if you find yourself caught up in researching – even one shitty paragraph could set you back on track!

2. I really liked what you said about finding a place to write on campus. I feel the same way because when I am writing, it doesn’t always feel like work, but it doesn’t always feel not like work. So it’s like this weird in between that I, like you, believe it needs and deserves its own space. On your research concern, clearly you are doing something a little different than most that is much more research-intensive making the due dates affect you differently. I don’t think you should be too concerned because I don’t think you need to get all you research done before writing the first draft. Also your first draft can also just be really really shitty and I’m sure the final will be great!