Drafting and Revising

Almost all of my focus thus far has been on content, both in the re-purposing project and in the remediation project. I have spent all my time outlining, drafting, and revising. But reading this chapter made me think more about design and presentation rather than content. The book mentions fonts, color schemes, layout, interactivity, sound, etc. As I read about each of these elements, the vision for my ePortfolio developed, and I could start to picture it in my mind. Such visualization is important for multimodal projects because the final ePortfolio will involve so much more than just the content of our final drafts.

This chapter also helped me think about my timetable for the remediation project. The book made rough cuts seem similar to shitty first drafts – they are to be refined and shaped throughout the revision process. I realized that much of the work is to be done after we turn in our rough cuts. For my remediation, I am delivering a TED Talk, which requires several assets in the final version. For the rough cut, however, I probably won’t be using all of the assets that I will use in the final cut. The remediation project will shape itself over the course of the next several weeks, not just within the next week or so.

I tend to have a desk-clearing mindset; I like to get things done and move on to the next item. While this can sometimes help me work efficiently, it can also rush me. Desk-clearing and creativity do not mesh well. This chapter’s discussion of the revision process reinforced that I have to resist my desire to get these projects done so that I can move on to the ePortfolio. The revision process has multiple layers to it, and I have to give it the necessary time and attention. My re-purposing project will continue to develop, and so will the remediation. Eventually, they will all come together beautifully (I hope) in the ePortfolio, but only in due time.

Image result for patience you must have my young padawan

2 thoughts to “Drafting and Revising”

1. I often have that same “desk-clearing” mindset that you talk about. I think that sometimes it is helpful in the way that it gets things done efficiently, however, I agree that it is not the best way to go about these writing projects at all. I think that everything we have been doing since the start of this class is part of moving farther in our ePortfolio, even if we haven’t created the physical website yet. If you think about it that way, the more time and attention we give to each component, the easier it will be to create our ePortfolios, and the more cohesive they will appear. I can’t wait to see your TED talk! Such a cool idea, very exciting.

2. I agree with both of you! Nothing makes me happier than crossing something off my list, but with these projects that’s not really something you can do in one swoop. I often find myself finishing a first draft and feeling a sense of completion until I’m reminded during peer review that I have a long ways to go. Your picture of Yoda is perfect, because this class definitely requires patience. I also started to think more about design after reading this chapter. While it’s definitely not the first thing on our minds, it is important to realize how vital design choices are to the final ePortfolio. Our content isn’t the first thing readers will see when they go to our page. First they’ll see the title font and subheadings, color and visuals. I’m excited to see how our design choices reflect our projects and identity as writers.