Re-Visiting “Why I Blog”

During every Writing 220 class, we have exchanged our ideas and thoughts with one another. By doing so, we have pushed each other to become better writers and better thinkers. We do in class what Andrew Sullivan believes is done on the web through blogs. He believes that a blogger is a part of a huge conversation. By taking part in that conversation, the blogger’s ideas are shaped and informed. Conversely, the blogger also has the power to shape and inform his readers.

screen-shot-2016-11-12-at-4-22-43-pm

Whether it’s through blogs or in class, I wanted to join the minor to participate in this intellectual cycle. In the minor, I hope to offer some insight to my peers while having my own ideas shaped by them. So far, I feel like I am accomplishing this goal by working closely with my classmates and writing personally meaningful pieces.

Sullivan views writing blogs as a thrill. While Didion and Orwell allude to the drudgery and pressure of writing, Sullivan talks about the energy and stimulation that comes from the immediacy of blogging. There is much less at stake in blogging because there is more room for error. According to Sullivan, blogging is about putting yourself out there and letting your immediate emotions and thoughts flow onto the page. Perhaps the instant nature of blogging is less strenuous, but less rewarding in the end because it is less strenuous. Didion and Orwell both seem to struggle with their pieces, constantly searching for the right words to communicate their messages. Although less pleasurable, maybe the struggle makes the end product more rewarding. Everyone writes for different reasons, and blogging seems to satisfy some writers much more than others.

2 thoughts to “Re-Visiting “Why I Blog””

1. I think it’s really interesting how you compare the three writers by the amount of work they put in up front and the resulting pleasure they receive at the end. I agree that there is much less at stake in blogging, however I think it takes a certain amount of courage and guts to publish your initial reactions and thoughts for the whole world to see. I know I always overthink how people will react to what I say or how I say something so blogging is harder for me. It’s a bit shocking to me how strenuous Didion and Orwell paint their writing process, but I also have never tried writing a book before.

2. I think the last line of your blog post is interesting, and was something I had not really thought a lot about before.I agree that blogging reaches a certain goal of writing that not all writers have. Sullivan lists out these goal that posting a blog can achieve, however, they are not standards that Orwell would necessarily live by. When you think about it this way, it seems that Sullivan and Didion are much more similar in the sense that Didion would enjoy the ways of a blog post since her ideas seem to flow without much worry to how they come out.