The Voice

While completing my “Why I Write” assignment, I wasn’t really focused on writing. It was late, I wanted to go to bed, but I had a spark of motivation to do it mid teeth-brushing, so I decided to get it done. I whipped it up in about twenty minutes, and then closed my laptop and went to bed.

The next day, I re-read what I had written, and was surprisingly shocked. It sounded like my typical writing style and it had some pretty decent points in it. The piece was most definitely written in my “voice” and didn’t fall short from what writing style I typically produce.

In class we were also asked if it was written in one of the many voices that you have, and to be honest, I’m not quite sure if I have multiple voices. I’m not actually quite sure what my voice is either, I just know it when I see it. Maybe I do have multiple voices, as I feel like it’s difficult not to change the voice for different types of writings, but I think it’s safe to assume that they all derive from one overarching voice that I always somewhat write in even though sometimes it’s adapted.

In regards to the content of my “Why I Write,” I can assure that the content is very specific to myself. I give concrete examples for why I wrote in different periods of my life, allowing the reader to hear about my journey but apply the feelings and reasons to their own life. As a result of this, the reader is able to appreciate my story but then also think about their own more in depth.