Why I Blog 2

Because it is a Sunday night, and I’m still unsure of why I right, I am using some animals to explain the different ideas behind each other and the ideas I have concerning my own writing.

http://nedhardy.com/2014/06/09/gallery-happy-animals-help-get-monday/

4649e3bfbfcae9ec67d94423688ff7ec

Like this donkey, Didion’s motivation for writing is a bit obnoxious. Although it seems she is just an ordinary person, as this is an ordinary donkey, she wants others to understand her life as complex- and by extension, life in general- through her simple scenes like that of the train car. And like this donkey expresses extreme happiness in a bleak setting, she has her own emotion on the scenes around her that she wants to share. Writing about Charlotte, she does not just describe the character but gives herself further authority by claiming she knows why Charlotte arrived at the airport alone. Like Sullivan, she values her own insights as an individual, but rather than opening them up for a conversation, offers them to the reader with no strings attached.

55f59258360ea67c800dd20f76b93c45

Heavy, playful, and conversational, Sullivan’s meaning for writing parallels the panda who has with great difficulty propped himself on the swing as a platform on which to discuss issues with his readers. Sullivan blogs because it is natural and conversational; real issues can be brought up because there is not as much time to second guess himself. This panda, also, seems passionate about his topic, but he has not practiced for this time to speak. He just lets his friends know what he’s thinking and why it’s important while sitting in a casual way, like how Sullivan blogs to have a place on which to speak where he has more authority than the reader but not so much as to limit conversation.

1a6ac4a90762251730b406add090fd69 

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/564x/1a/6a/c4/1a6ac4a90762251730b406add090fd69.jpg

Like this frog sitting on his rock in authority, crossing his arms in rebelliousness but with more indignation than angst, Orwell’s writing has a job to be done and it won’t be stopped. His fight against totalitarianism motivates him to write outside of the other incentives of historical preservation, personal exaltation, and aesthetic pleasure. He believes the meaning behind what he writes more than the tools he uses, evident through the lack of fluff in stories like “Animal Farm” which argued against totalitarianism compared to “Shooting an Elephant” which focused on personal experience. Contrary to Didion and Sullivan, he does not focus so explicitly on his own personal experience so not to forsake the cause of his writing for his own personal expression.

yogi-and-ducklings-550x538

https://www.buzzfeed.com/chelseamarshall/29-examples-of-animals-helping-their-interspecies-friends

I feel like this Corgi when I write. Outside of Writing 220, I’m a better writer than most of my peers, so I tend to lead the way, like how this Corgi leads the way for the baby ducks because he has a larger body and can provide greater defense. However, as this Corgi cannot swim, neither am I proficient in each subject that I write. I value my writing capabilities as giving me control over the final product of many group efforts, and, in the case of individual work, I value it as creating a façade to hide behind so that I might speak on matters which I do not wholly understand. In the Minor, I would like to develop the skills to let the little duckies take the lead in group projects and for my sources to take the lead in individual projects so that I can better learn how to swim in that subject.

One thought to “Why I Blog 2”

1. It was such a cute idea for you to use photos of animals to explain your thoughts. By doing so, you set the tone to match your idea that writing can be casual and playful, while also wild and without structure, like these animals. Writing does not need to be perfect; it can be flawed, and it can be free. You do not need to be an expert in every subject in which you write, but I admire your desire and courage to learn from others and try to become an expert in all subjects you choose to write about. It is so interesting how you used animals as visual representations of these renowned writers; it definitely makes them seem more approachable, and gives their writing a wild personality. Do you see any similarities between you, the Corgi, and the other animals in the ways in which you write, and why you write?