An ePortfolio is Born!

Whew! It was a lot of work pushing that thing out. The past few months have been tiresome and grueling. I was sleep deprived, my moods were all over the place and oh my god, the amount of times I got up to pee…insane. What? No, I wasn’t pregnant! I was birthing an ePortfolio! I worked on it into the late hours of the night (hence the sleep deprivation), I kept changing my mind about the direction I was going (hence the mood swings), and I functioned on copious amounts of coffee (hence the peeing). This project has become in a sense my newborn child. I read chapters on the best techniques and methods to create it, I nurtured it through the beginning stages of life, and I tried my best to teach it my values.

So here it is. I hope it gives a sense of who I am as a writer and that people enjoy reading it, but if not that’s ok, because I enjoyed making it. As a first time parent to an online portfolio, I’ve learned a lot. This thing was hard work! But, I think one of the biggest ways I’ve grown as a writer this semester is that I started to think about the bigger picture. Most other writing intensive classes I’ve been a part of have never required me to write for an audience outside of the classroom. This class forced me to do exactly the opposite of that. For the first time I got to think about what I wanted to write, why I wanted to write it, and for whom. I realized I’m much better at writing to other people (for example in the form of letters or a blog post) than I am at writing to or for myself.

Something I want to work on between now and the capstone is exactly that–writing for myself. I thought I could try doing it in the form of creative fiction. This is a genre I really love and want to explore more, but the direction I chose for the gateway took me inward to a place of self-reflection. I think it would be beneficial to expand my writing skills by working in genres I am less comfortable in. I really enjoyed the creative fiction class I took my freshman year and want to revisit the exercises and assignments I did for it. One of the outside artifacts I included in my ePortfolio was actually a short story from that class. It wasn’t necessarily going to win any awards, but I liked it, because it was the first piece of writing I had created purely from my imagination. Yes, imagination plays a part in all writing as does creativity, but fiction takes it a step further. The gateway course taught me how to write for audiences outside of the classroom and now I want to write for audiences outside of the classroom without being forced to do so.

I’ll get back to you on how that goes…

One thought to “An ePortfolio is Born!”