Goodbye, Gateway!

Wow! I can’t believe it’s December already.

surprised-cat-o

The past semester has certainly been an interesting obstacle for me. I’m not sure whether the sophomore slump is real or it’s just one of those periods in your life.

I don’t often believe in fate, but the Minor in Writing gateway course could not have come at a better time. The last semester has actually been a rough, yet productive learning experience for me. Despite many success, Fall 2016 certainly had some of my life’s lowest lows. I genuinely believe that I could have sunk even lower had Writing 220 not been in my schedule because the course gave me an outlet to explore my feelings and evaluate my situation.

I originally applied to the minor because I knew I wanted to improve my writing through mechanisms like word choice and sentence construction, but to my surprise the class forced me to use my writing to improve myself.

I learned a lot about the art of writing. Shitty drafts should not be a source of vulnerability; in fact, they are normal. Writing can be strengthened by proper word choice and sentence construction, but the true value lays in the content behind the message and a writer’s ability to communicate to his or her audience.

Although I have found my voice and started constructing clearer messages, I still have a way to go. My struggle with word choice, concise statements, and sentence construction will be the topic of discussion for my next writing course, and my writing voice is still too conversational at the wrong times. I want to learn how to better embed arguments within a piece and do so with a non-condescending authoritative tone.

The gateway course was an experience. I started the semester uncertain about which original piece to use and what genres I wanted to explore. Now, after my final submission, I am happy that I made the decisions I did. I was able to open up and become more honest with the world. The drafts and edits of my works reflect my journey outside of the classroom during my off semester, yet I sit here now with a sense of ease and excitement for next semester. It may sound corny or cliche, but writing helped me work through what could have truly been a catastrophe.

Lastly, I’d like to thank Shelley. The conversation about my pieces have been more than just editing sessions. Words seemingly flow more easily when I sit to write now because you helped me find my purpose for writing, and I will always appreciate that.

Without further to do, I introduce my Gateway blog.

Thank you for a great semester, Writing 220.

15288502_1271636189545160_1947973219007654485_o