Repurposing

Hi all- here are my thoughts:

Below are TWO ideas for the same original piece (because I’m indecisive, please help). Let me know if you think that one is more interesting than the other!

I wrote a creative nonfiction piece at the end of last semester called “The Sound of Silence”. It’s an investigative piece for which I remained silent for a day and documented my responses to this “lifestyle change”. I went on to reflect about it, and it wound up becoming a very spiritual essay. However, a lot of what I said became redundant. I’m sure this is because all of the ideas are coming from one perspective- mine. Therefore, I’d like to maintain this investigation of silence, but through different perspectives. A series of vignettes seems to be the best form for this. I’ve never written vignettes, so this will also be a nice exploration for me (get learnt!). I’d like the vignettes to be from the perspective of a variety of people in a variety of situations. They will be silent for different reasons- i.e. someone in solitary confinement, someone post-arguement at home with their partner, something broader like the silence of women, etc. These aren’t solid ideas, just examples. The point is- silence is a very universal notion that can elicit very individual responses (although it’s not really the norm). And by documenting only my own response, I feel that I’m not doing the topic any justice…

The second idea is to write a textbook description on silence that begins to take on a mind of its own. This explores the same idea- silence is universal and individual. So it would start of professional and slowly diverge into something less robotic.

I can’t wait to hear some critiques and ideas!

-Lauren W.

4 thoughts to “Repurposing”

1. Hi Lauren! First, your idea is super compelling and a really unique topic that I’ve never considered before. While I imagine your original draft was well-written, for the purpose of the assignment I would definitely suggest writing a series of vignettes. While the textbook description could be interesting, I think it limits your potential for creativity (and based on how you described it, I don’t think you want to do that). The perspective and power of silence in different scenarios would definitely intrigue me more. However, I was wondering how you would go about getting these different perspectives as well as what your conclusion would be at the end of each story. Good luck, I’m excited to see the results! – Ethan

2. Hi Lauren! I am so intrigued by your original topic. I want to hear more about your day of silence because I cannot even imagine it. I definitely think that a series of vignettes would be the way to go. Not only do they give you a creative outlet, but I feel as though you would be able to reach a wide variety of people with the vignettes while the textbook would limit you. However, I am a bit concerned about the vignettes in the sense of how you are going to take on the persona of a variety of people (i.e. how you research your material). Also, it may be a stretch because your original work is from the perspective of one person: you. Nevertheless, I definitely think the series of vignettes would be a more compelling topic than the textbook description, and, because you’ve never written vignettes before, it would be a great challenge. Good luck on the repurposing, cannot wait to read it! – Casey

3. Hi Lauren,
    I am also captivated by your vignette idea!

However, I am similarly concerned about how you are going to accurately write from the perspectives of these different characters. I think I would feel put off if you are just imaging what these experiences were like, but have never experienced them yourself, such as solitary confinement.

What if you still make the vignettes silence in different situations, but pull from a variety of your own experiences? You could use memories to go beyond just that day when you were intentionally silent. For example, your ideas about a post-argument silence or silence as a woman could work.