Guess who’s back

Hi Friends!

I’m really excited to be a part of the MiW Capstone course with you all!

My quick elevator pitch about who I am (it’s really quick, I promise): I’m originally from Novi, Michigan. I’m currently a senior in the Ross School of Business and have always had a passion for writing. Post graduation I will be moving to Albany, NY…this scares me more than I’d like to admit since I know absolutely no one there. BUT, I’m excited to make the most of my last semester and make it one that counts.

Reading and writing has been my escape since a young age. Whether it’s letters to friends and family, essays in class, reading famous novels, or merely reading guilty pleasures, written words have always provided me with comfort in an inexplainable way. Words give me a voice and allow me to understand others. Words also allow me to get lost in worlds of fiction and other’s realities and truly feel as though I am that dreamy character going on intense adventures and handling dangerous, high-pressure situations seamlessly. I wish.

During my time at UofM I’ve had an interesting juxtaposition of various writing communities. I started off in the Honors College, joined Ross two years later, started the MiW that same year, and also juggled with potentially throwing in an English major. Just to spice it up a little more, you know? Although this may seem sporadic, being in these various communities has given me a lot of appreciation for various forms of writing styles.

When people hear what I’m studying, I always get the “ohhh you’re doing writing AND business? That’s an interesting combination…”

They say it as if it is the strangest thing they have ever heard.

Which if that’s the case, they really need to get out more.

I’ll admit, there have been some challenges being in both communities. In running from English classes to Business classes, I have found myself juggling to switch my written voice more than I’d like. I’ve been told in my English classes that some of my writing is “too concise.” Yet, I’ve also been told in my Business communication classes that I need to be “more concise.”

Yet, although this has given me a headache time after time, I am ultimately very grateful for being challenged in this way. Switching into these differing voices has allowed me to work on my skills in ways I originally couldn’t imagine.

I’ve learned how to write prose.

I’ve learned to write with the sarcasm that I am told drips from every sentence I speak.

And I’ve also learned how to write a kick-ass cover letter and resume at the same time.

So, yes, it has been an interesting adventure with some setbacks. And I don’t just mean the countless times I have wiped out on ice running back and forth from Ross to Mason Hall.

But, kidding aside, I wouldn’t change it for the world.

-Amanda

Amanda Kemmer

Amanda (noun): Ross BBA senior. Avid puppy lover. Detroit International Half-Marathon runner.

3 thoughts to “Guess who’s back”

1. “And I’ve also learned how to write a kick-ass cover letter and resume at the same time.”…Can you offer some advice some time?? haha!

Joking aside, this sounds like you have a well rounded path here at Michigan! I am glad to be able to get to know you a little more. Being a capable writer can get you FAR in life, especially when paired with a business education…it will set you apart from your co-workers.

2. Hi Amanda, I enjoyed reading your introduction! I could identify with so much of what you wrote, especially the Ross + writing minor shock factor. Looking forward to capstoning with you this semester 🙂

3. Oh man that sounds like a wild swiveling back and forth between styles! I am sure they will make you all the more versatile a writer though, being able to write prose and at the same time these concise communications papers.