I’m back!

Hi everyone! It’s good to be back.

At first, I was worried when I read the prompt for our first blog post. I instantly knew that one of my communities would be The Michigan Daily, but was petrified that I somehow floated through three and a half years at this university without joining a single other writing community. Once I calmed down, though, I realized that quite a few of my experiences on campus could be considered involvement in a writing community.

I have spent most of my time on campus at the Daily, and I couldn’t be more happy in my decision to do so. I covered the softball, women’s basketball, men’s basketball and football teams over the past few years and it has taught me so much. Also, sitting through this guy’s pressers has been a fun time.

I cringe when I go back and read my articles from my freshman year, but I’m also happy to be aware of the improvements I’ve made in my writing. I also really enjoy helping new writers as a senior editor at the paper and trying to make them cognizant of the pitfalls I committed when I was their age. The Daily engulfed my life for a while there, so it will be strange to sit back this semester and just relax now that football season is over.

The main community that interfered with my sports writing would have to be the psychology community. After reading through a few others’ posts, I know I’m not the only one who experienced difficulty transitioning between APA caveats and other kinds of writing. One time last semester, I finished a developmental psychology grant proposal and then went to write a sports column. I submitted it later, thinking that it looked good, but another editor pointed out all of the academic language I was using in my supposedly casual article. I had to slowly rework the entire thing, but that just goes to show you how beautifully expansive writing can be.

There are countless types of writing, and I’m hoping to expand upon my writing experiences, which have been overwhelmingly journalistic. Adding to my experience with straight-laced writing is my internship in the corporate communications department of Blue Cross Blue Shield two years ago. AP style 4 lyfe.

Looking forward to learning from everyone this semester!

Kelly Hall

I'm a junior at the University of Michigan studying Psychology with minors in Writing and Entrepreneurship. I love writing about community events, especially those involving sports. On campus, I spend most of my time at the Michigan Daily, where I'm a sports editor and writer.

2 thoughts to “I’m back!”

1. Hi Kelly! I definitely relate to your sentiments about revisiting old writing. I recently went through my family’s old desktop computer where a lot of my high school papers were saved. It was rough. It’s hard to believe that in such a short time I’ve learned so much, and mostly without realizing it. Of course I remember learning grammar and some of the general writing feedback I’ve gotten, but my development as a writer has mostly come from practice and experience. Looking at my old papers has helped me better edit my current papers and pieces of writing and I’m glad that I had the opportunity to look at myself in a critical way after some years of separation.

2. Hi Kelly,
    I completely agree in that at first I thought I had never been a part of a writing community except for the Minor in Writing one…but after reading the case I realized that, like you, a lot of the writing I’ve done as a student equates to multiple varying communities. I think it’s interesting that we don’t realize how many different styles and communities of writing we have participated in until we are specifically asked the question. As students at a rigorous university, I think we often place the blame for poor grades or products (such as cringe-worthy writing) on our own lack of skill, rather than realizing that some of the challenge might be the fact that we write in so many different communities with different restrictions and goals. By the way, suuuuper jealous that you have sat in on press conferences for Harbaugh. So awesome!