Remediation- Two Ideas

For my remediation, I’m leaning towards an adaptation or a complement style. My repurposed piece is grounded in the theme of silence and is organized as a series of vignettes. The vignettes follow a woman at different moments in her life as she experiences silence in various capacities (5 sections). I also offer another perspective at the end of each section from one of the other characters in the respective section.

This piece is missing silence. I mean, it is all words. So that is a big hole. And I think that, to avoid verbalizing this idea of silence again, I’m going to create a visual piece. Additionally, I am trying to encompass many forms of silence, and because different people experience totally different varieties of silence, I am failing by following only one individual. Or, partially succeeding. Can’t decide if the glass is half full or half empty today…

For an adaptation, I might create a video of people talking/interacting without sound. This would allow the viewer to focus on body language during these interactions. I would show a variety of situations with a variety of individuals. This minimizes the hole caused by my not being able to encompass many forms of silence through my vignettes. And this might be more successful if the individuals in the video are not talking at all…

A possible complement: a dance. Although I would only have one individual dancing, the individual is not meant to represent one entity. Instead, the dance is meant to draw attention to fluidity and movement. This would remove the “failure to encompass many forms of silence” hole. I would include music in this case- the dance is meant to represent the fluidity of silence, so the presence of sound should not affect the overall  message. The problem with this is that I’d need to find a dancer or perform a dance myself (not sure how that would go…). I’m going to try to think of other possible complements in the meantime!