Writing 220 Remediation Idea: Emily Fishman

Hey y’all! I’ve been thinking about what I want to do for my remediation and I think there’s any idea with which I’m interested.

My repurposed piece is a mock-stylebook based on a piece I wrote for The Michigan Daily about my lack of creativity and my need for structure and a different way of thinking about the creative process. The stylebook is pretty referential and serves as a guide for how to write about not being able to write (as confusing as that is).

My current idea for my remediation piece is to take the stylebook that I have created and apply it to a fictional magazine or other publication. The piece would be a combination of prose and design elements: ideally, I would create two or so pages of the document and then “edit” them according to the stylebook repurposing piece. The “original” piece would have flaws and errors that are emblematic of my creative anxiety, and the “edited” version would indicate the superior skill set and perspective that I have after discovering my need for structure. This feels like a complement to the original, as the fictionalized publication would not be meant to stand on its own without the original stylebook. I’m excited to see where this piece takes me!

Emily Fishman

Hi! My name is Emily Fishman and I am a senior from Houston, Texas. I'm an English major, and a brand-new Writing minor. I also work for Sweetland as a peer consultant, so needless to say I love writing