Blog Round Thing That You Sit At Two

The Power of Short Words

Here we like to learn. Here we like to prove. Here we like to win, dream, and walk to class with buds in our ears and heads turned down. It is cold. We do not look up to see the boys and girls who walk past rushed–Those like us and those not like us. We do not like the boys and girls that we can’t make sense of. We hold hands with the boys and girls who wear the same coats as us. We live in isolating bubbles.

There are good things here too. Warm drinks warm hearts in shops that like to play New York. The sun breaks through the clouds. It makes the boys and girls come out to play. Buds spring up to bring joy. The grass says, “Lay in me.” We hold hands the same way we used to, but there are more of us now. The sun makes all the boys and girls look at more boys and girls and think of what it would be like to be those boys and girls who love and learn and dream in ways not like the ways we are used to.

I thank the sun for this. I thank God for this. I pray that we can pop the bubbles.

2 thoughts to “Blog Round Thing That You Sit At Two”

1. I loved this! The flow of the one-syllable words creates such a rhythm in the sentences — it’s almost like a song. Maybe sentences become bogged down by longer words in our normal writing, but the short words keep the story moving along so quickly.

This exercise makes me think about how to create a similar effect to this in our own writing, obviously without following it to the extreme. I think it lends itself especially well to your project, with the creative short stories. I’m also thinking about what it is about the words that creates such a nice sound. It made me think of this exercise we did the other day in one of my other classes where we thought of words that seem to “sound” good or bad just based on their qualities. I think this piece is a really good example of how the aesthetic nature of the words creates good writing.

2. I’m obsessed with the fact that you chose this exercise. I chose I different prompt for this assignment, but actually did this one for fun! Big short word fan over here, so this was a great read. Each line filled with vision and tone (kudos to you for creating big impact with tiny words and short sentences), and the illustration that you provided my head with was glorious to say the least.

I did an exercise in my creative writing class freshman year that involved short, medium, and long words:
    -Give yourself 25 long words
    -Give yourself 50 medium words
    -Give yourself 75 short words
    -Write a little story

Not only did I adore the professor who gave me this assignment, but I also adored the way this exercise pushed me. I find myself SO caught up in jargon (which, forgive me if I’m assuming, might happen if you’re writing about history/historical events). While it, without a doubt, can be a challenge, short words give the punch that sentences need. I used to be a big believer in the “power” that long words possess, but in reality, the impact can be far more important than the character count.

It reminds me so much of Ernest Hemingway’s famous six word story: For sale, baby shoes, never worn. I would challenge you to do this for every chapter (or maybe every page) of the novel that you’re writing! Find the intent of your chapter, and narrow it down to as little as you can, and watch the magic happen!