Blog Roundtable 2 (Sorry about the Trump references)

Addressing Opposites (That Might Not Actually Be Opposites)

Both Nick and Maddy chose the mini assignment that dealt with defining terms that were important to their projects. Interestingly, in order to successfully complete their assignments, they chose to define terms that were considered “opposite” to the focus of their projects. From our discussion of their assignments, we realized that is equally as important to understand what your project is as what it is not. This also helped us to realize that definitions can be confining, especially when you are talking about a group of people (in these cases: conservatives and women on campus). Sometimes, avoiding labels helps to formulate a better understanding of an issue.

Research: Very very Important

Although Kennedy and Allison chose different mini assignment, they both ultimately reached the same conclusion that research is vital to the success of their projects. This might seem obvious seeing as that the capstone project requires research, however research is a component that cannot be understated. Kennedy showed us the importance of thinking about outside examples in relation to our own projects when she discussed the film, “Moonlight.” Allison’s work helped us to understand that seeking specific statistics that further your own points is limiting, and instead it is more beneficial to let outside sources influence your work naturally.

Final Thoughts: It’s Actually Not Funny

During our discussion, our group came to the realization that all four of us are tackling deeply frustrating topics with our projects: feminism, racism, and politics. We felt that most people believed that they had a general understanding of the subjects we are addressing, but that this is far from the truth. Those who are politically involved equate progressivism and liberalism, and believe that conservatism is the opposite. Not quite. We as students have accepted the “Michigan Man” as representing us as students, but have negated to understand the intricacies of gender politics on campus. Wrong. In an attempt to characterize womanhood as a collective identity, we ignore the intricacies of its embodiment as both raced and classed. And lastly, we assume that female athletes who make it in the media or hold executive positions in the sport industry are treated equally. Nope. Unfortunately, Title IX does not apply to everything either. Sorry.

Allison Skaggs

Hello all! My name is Allison Skaggs and I am a junior at Michigan. I am from Orange County, California and decided to come to Michigan for a different kind of college experience! Currently, I am on the women's varsity water polo team and plan on majoring in Sport Management. Some things I enjoy during my time off are reading, swimming, attending sports games, and spending time with friends and family.