Creativity & Business

When I initially decided to create a business plan for a disruptive innovation in the fashion industry, I naively thought that crafting a creative business plan would be the same process and layout as the business plans I’ve created in my entrepreneurship classes. While the fundamentals are the same (executive summary, value proposition, etc.), the ~mood~ is starkly different.

Let me explain. When you think of “business” what are some of the images that come to mind? For me, it’s men in a sharp suit, carrying a briefcase in a big city. There’s a lack of color, imagination, and flair. It’s essentially communication of getting from point A to point B efficiently and economically.

Harvey Specter

Now when you think of “creative” what are some of the images that come to mind? For me, it’s passion, emotion, and vibrancy. It’s an eccentric person with bright purple hair painting something abstract in her attic.

Granted, I recognize that both of the personas I’ve described are on extreme sides of the spectrum. However, in my business plan, I want to take both extremes into account. Since my work is geared towards fashion industry professionals, that leaves a lot of room for diversity in opinions, aesthetics, and preference.

NYFW 2017 Front Row

As I’ve completed almost 50% of my draft of my business plan, I’m starting to think about how I want to present my business plan. Do I want it to be in a PDF format, including images and graphics throughout. Or perhaps, do I want it to be more interactive? For example, one of the capstone projects in my genre uses a website to navigate the business plan. I’m starting to wonder if either of those options, or perhaps a hybrid of the two, is best for my project. I really want my project to be aesthetically pleasing as well as a testament to my style as a fashion-obsessed writer.

I think it’s okay to not have all of the answers right now, but I’m going to have to decide soon how I can pair the outlandishly creative with the traditional professional. Stay tuned…

Caroline Rafferty

Caroline is a Lauren Conrad aficionado with more clothes than sense. Currently suffering with a severe case of wanderlust and wondering why more people don't like jicama, Caroline is an extremely gifted napper who is a Communications major. Between reading "Into The Gloss" and listening to her "rbf" Spotify playlist, Caroline writes about anything that comes to mind. Anything.