Do you have an alter ego?

For my capstone project, I want to explore the idea of “alter egos” both on social media and in physical situations. I think that there has always been pressure in society to be someone other than yourself, but I think that the use of social media has significantly changed this societal pressure.

What do you share in-person versus on Facebook or Snapchat? Who do you interact with on different forms of social media? Do you feel constrained to the social dynamics of certain social media platforms versus others? These are some of the questions I want to address in my project. However, I’m hoping to gain insight from my peers on why this topic is especially relevant and important.

In order to reach this understanding, it would help if you all could comment your opinions on this topic. Do you act differently on Facebook versus Instagram? What about Snapchat? How do you act around your roommates versus in class, and how does this compare to your presence on social media? Do you feel you have an alter ego on social media, and why? Is it because your Grandma has a Facebook so you’ve learned to censor your posts aka blur out the red cup in your Gameday pics? (Shoutout to Betty White). How do you manage the broad range of audiences on these platforms? Do you alter your ego to match these requirements?

An article that really inspired me to research this question further was one for my social media marketing class, about the era of Facebook: http://www.theverge.com/2014/3/13/5488558/danah-boyd-interview-the-era-of-facebook-is-an-anomaly

Thanks in advance for your input, and in the meantime, please feel free to be inspired and #blessed by Beyoncé’s twin pregnancy. Beytwicé amirite?

Cheers,

Anna

Anna Prenzler

Anna is a senior studying business with a minor in writing at the University of Michigan. She believes you can never sing or laugh enough, and you must write things down for two reasons - to remember what happens in your life and to feel something.