Project Lightbulb Moment!

I have to admit that this project has been giving me a lot of anxiety. I was really pushing my comfort zone, in that, I am at my core a writer, and can write about anything if given the task, but the task of conceptualizing an ad campaign and actually coming up with the idea on my own was particularly daunting. Finally today I sat down with my mentor, a friend who worked in advertising the past two summers and will be working in advertising upon our graduation, and really got out all of the things I had been thinking about, and everything I wanted the campaign to look like, while really not knowing how to begin. She explained to me that the best thing to do is look away from all of the research and notes I had taken, open a blank page, and write three sentence of what the campaign will look like. We talked about quotes we loved and could build off of, and I decided that I wanted to go with a partnership between Glossier and Planned Parenthood, because at the end of the day, that was the best and most reasonable cause that Glossier, based on its motto, would get behind.

She then showed me an Instagram post of Planned Parenthood that stated, “we’ve got you covered.” And there was the lightbulb moment. Glossier can cover your face in a face mask, while Planned Parenthood has got you covered for all women’s health issues: Glossier’s got you covered!

The campaign will live on social through Instagrams from the Glossier founder, Emily Weiss and influencers, banner ads, a print ad, and will be covered by Allure, a Conde Nast publication that covers, among other things, trends in beauty. The idea is that for one month, for every Glossier purchase, 25% of the proceeds will go to planned Parenthood, and customers will receive a mini face mask, and will be encouraged to post an instagram with the facemask with the hasthag #glossiersgotyoucovered.

example of what a sample post would look like

Finally I feel like I know what I am doing! All it took was a little help from an advertising queen, and now I am on my way towards what I hope to be an awesome campaign.

Sophie Burton

Sophomore in LSA, from Minnesota. I love yoga and sea salt truffles.