Ross School of Boilerplate

Ew. When I read a few sentences of my “Why Ross” BBA application essay, I find it surprising that they accepted me! Let’s take a look:

“Ross’ innovative environment will provide a foundation to enhance my interest in finance and marketing…”

Excuse me, what? That is probably the vaguest sentence I have ever written. Honestly shows how little I know about finance, marketing, and business as a whole. Yikes.

Next:

” The Ross BBA will professionalize my passion for positive business and social entrepreneurship.”

Honestly I think any sentence with the word “passion” in it is BS. A better alternative would have been to name a program or class that would complement something specific that I’ve done in the past. For example, I could have specified by saying, “I look forward to taking ES 212: Entrepreneurial Basics, which will teach me entrepreneurship technicals such as viral coefficients so that I can enhance my experience working at JONEZIE this summer.”

Boiler plate isn’t necessarily a bad thing, but too much of it certainly may be. Especially when you’re trying to get your point across in 500 words, it’s difficult to limit. However, now that we’ve spent class time talking about it, I feel naturally more cautious and able to present specific, more focused writing.

Cheers,

Hud