Sanika Babtiwale: Boilerplate

I found this boilerplate quote from my Minor in Writing application:

“Unlike assignments involving numerical calculations, writing for any class allows me to feel a wide range of emotions, even when it is simply an essay on good user experience for Introduction to Information Studies.”

Apparently, my emotions run high when I write, while I don’t feel anything when I do my statistics homework (pretty sure I’m really frustrated with the problems instead). I think what I was trying to say here was I engage with assignments involving writing better than those that require quantitative skills.

Here are some quotes from my recent application to the School of Information:

“In high school, I became fascinated by communication and how it is utilized to present a specific message to the public.”

I wonder what “specific message” I was thinking about when I wrote this. One of the first writing techniques I learned about was “show not tell.” Clearly I did not follow that method here and ended up with a generic sentence that doesn’t reveal anything to the reader.

“If I am accepted to join the BSI community, I will strive to be proactive in my information courses and work with others to make technology and its tools more user-friendly and beneficial for all.”

How do I plan to take more initiative? Will I raise my hand in class more? Or contribute additional ideas in group projects? I also can’t believe that I used “user-friendly” and “beneficial” in the same sentence because they both imply a positive technology interaction for someone.