Text To Video And Back To Text

As I prepared for my class presentation, I got to work deciding how exactly I would piece this baby together. For my capstone project I am creating an 8-10 minute flash documentary, which will detail the rise of veganism into mainstream popular culture. It’ll be in the form of a video, using footage pieced together from various locations found around the web and with my own or a friend’s voice over, most likely.

Though having dozens of clips at my disposal, they weren’t necessarily, well, edited yet into a nice and neat coherent presentation. Lots of fragments, lots of b-roll with no audio. These clips and the messages I’m attempting to send with them would then need to be translated into text and still images in order for people to understand my presentation. Of course, this is where much of my video information originated; from written articles, charts, and photographs that I had adapted to fit into my video. And now here these figures were being re-rendered back into text, but this time in my own words, which is a whole other story.

This translation back and forth between mediums had be envisioning the whole process as some sort of academic form of telephone. How has the message changed from its original form of text or still image? Hopefully I didn’t screw it up too badly!

Rachel Hutchings

Los Angeles born, Ann Arbor raised. I'm a film student at the University of Michigan and an ardent music junkie on the side. I'm sure you'll catch me at local gigs around town.