An attempt at giving advice…

Hello friends and future Minors in Writing!

I can’t believe the semester is coming to a close and the gateway course will soon be over. Honestly this has been one of my top three favorite courses I have taken here, and I will forever cherish the skills I have acquired and the friends I have made. (I know this sounds sappy, but you’ll see what I mean after a semester in the gateway…)

I feel odd giving advice since I am still a student, and I feel like the more I learn, the more I realize that there is STILL SO MUCH to learn, however, here are a few thoughts to help guide you so that you can have the best experience possible.

1. Don’t forget about that e-Portfolio! A few of my cohorts may have mentioned this already, but I will repeat it anyway because it is so important! Figure out early on whether you feel most comfortable with either Weebly, WordPress, or Wix. (I learned this the hard way and had to switch over to a different site at the last minute…) Once you find your happy place, keep personalizing it in your spare time. This is actually super fun once you find a site that works best for you and allows you to be creative.
  2. Get started on projects as early as possible, or at least begin brainstorming and planning. This applies to pretty much every course project ever in the history of college assignments, but again, it is so important, so here I am stating it again.
  3. Volunteer for workshop! Be bold and share your work! Don’t be afraid to receive feedback–your cohorts are super friendly and are there to support you.
  4. Take this opportunity to experiment with your writing, and even tackle projects that you have been considering for a while. This is what I did, and I am excited to continue my Project 3 into the future. (check out the link to it on my ePortfolio!!)
  5. Have fun journaling. I have to admit that I never enjoyed journaling until I took this class and our fabulous teacher T. Hetzel 🙂 encouraged us to write for 5 minutes here and there–even while riding the bus! She provided some of the most thought-provoking topics imaginable for us to ponder–I will never forget the Tea Cup Pigs!
  6. Listen up during journal readings! I can’t express how much I learned just from listening to my cohorts read their journals out loud. It seriously was so extraordinary and inspirational, which also brings me to my next point…
  7. Don’t feel overwhelmed by the brilliant and creative minds surrounding you. You, too, have something important to say. Believe me, because it’s true.

Love,

Bekah

I wanted to buy this bear, but then I saw the price tag…

One thought to “An attempt at giving advice…”

1. Thanks for the advice! I like how much you talked about how you felt before going into the Gateway course, as it made it easier to understand where you’re coming from. I’ll definitely keeping starting early in mind moving forward!