Portfolio Categories: Emily Fishman

Rating:

1. Idea/Concept
  2. Voice
  3. Composition/Environment
  4. Prose

My portfolio is only going to succeed if the idea and concept is cohesive and the audience gets on board. All three of my pieces are intertwined and because I’m spending so much space speaking about the same thing, I’m really hoping the ideas are compelling and true. In the same vein, because all three pieces are directly about me, I would like to think that my audience will get a good sense of who I am as a person and a writer (and how those are the same) after spending time in my portfolio. With the way it is set up (the composition) I’m not really giving the audience much choice in how they interact with the environment, which is a gamble I hope is going to pay off. While the quality of prose is important to me, I think it ranks last on my list as the other categories are just more pressing. In an ideal world, these categories flow into one another nicely; the idea/concept grabs people and connect with them, the voice invites them to get inside my head, the composition of the portfolio makes it so they cannot do anything but follow my thought process, and the prose doesn’t hinder any of the other things from occurring. I’m more than a little anxious about the possibility that the composition of my portfolio is going to be off-putting and people won’t even want to engage with the ideas, and I’m also worried that the concept, as all three pieces are about myself, will close the audience off from the get go. I’m not sure how to solve this problem yet, I hope it’s going to be okay.

Emily Fishman

Hi! My name is Emily Fishman and I am a senior from Houston, Texas. I'm an English major, and a brand-new Writing minor. I also work for Sweetland as a peer consultant, so needless to say I love writing