True Life: I’m Addicted to Making Websites

So I’ve created three websites total this semester, and consider myself a pro at using Squarespace now (seriously, if you’re thinking of using it for your portfolio feel free to reach out to me/comment on this post and I’ll help you out!)

However, this also means I’ve created three websites this semester. I’m a little burnt out creatively and find that I’m struggling to pick a theme for my portfolio.

Here are a few of the things I know for sure:

1. I am making sure that my Capstone Portfolio has the same overall theme as my Gateway Portfolio. Since I link my Gateway Portfolio in a lot of job applications, I want to be able to do the same for my Capstone. Plus, I am so proud of the way my Gateway Portfolio turned out, so I’m treating my Capstone Portfolio as the former’s more mature version.
  2. Along the same lines, I’m using the same “Headers”/Menu Items that I used in my Gateway. They’re a little less traditional than “About Me” and “Capstone Project,” which aligns more with my style of writing and creating.
  3. The opening page has a video that plays, as a way to catch my reader’s eye…so I’m pretty stoked about the way it looks right now. It’s a video created by one of my favorite brands, so it aligns really well with the aesthetic I’m focused on for my overall portfolio.

Even though I’m positive on the three above attributes, I’m struggling a lot with how I want to introduce each section of my portfolio. The approach I took in the Gateway was to briefly describe my process and the steps I took to get to the final piece.

However, with my “mature” Capstone, I want to combine the explicit with implicit. By this I mean I want to explain the revisions I made and the research I did with saying I made revisions and did research. It’ll be a tricky balance to get right, so I’ve reached out to a previous professor of mine to see if she’d be willing to navigate my portfolio this weekend, and make notes on confusing language, technical difficulties, etc. Basically anything that would make the portfolio hard to read.

If anyone has tips for how to integrate research and revision into their portfolio, I’d love to hear about it!

Caroline Rafferty

Caroline is a Lauren Conrad aficionado with more clothes than sense. Currently suffering with a severe case of wanderlust and wondering why more people don't like jicama, Caroline is an extremely gifted napper who is a Communications major. Between reading "Into The Gloss" and listening to her "rbf" Spotify playlist, Caroline writes about anything that comes to mind. Anything.