Who Can You Trust? Me (Finally)

Originally, my plan was to repurpose a research essay on User Experience Design. This probably would have resulted in a more professional portfolio mood, and a more formal Why I Write piece. Yet, when it came time to repurpose the piece, I realized I had no enthusiasm to repurpose it. Personally, I felt the piece should just stay the way it was. So I decided to shift gears and focus on another piece I had written for a class outside of my major. It was an essay I had written about Buddhist goddesses for a Buddhism class in the Asian Languages and Cultures department. I had really enjoyed that class, so I thought my repurposing experience would go much better. And it did. As a result, my Why I Write piece became unconventional, and my portfolio as a whole was more genuine.

I think if I had stuck with my original plan, I would have ended up with a much more formal and professional portfolio. Although my portfolio is still not completely informal, I can imagine how much more refined it could be. For example, my Why I Write would probably be more concrete, despite it not coming across as authentic.

How much do you trust yourself in your assessment about why you write and why?

I (somewhat) trust myself in my assessment about why I write now. I have always thought I needed to have a single answer to this question, and I tried to bring this confused state of mind to my paper. When I started this assignment, I thought I had the answer whenever I remembered something monumental that happened with my writing. Yet, after a while that answer didn’t feel like the right one. In the end, I just decided to trust my instinct and write a Why I Write that does not focus on a single “perfect” reason, but rather many imperfect ones which may or may not become my permanent motives. It took a while to trust myself with this choice, but I think I made the right decision in structuring the piece this way.