Who else loved workshop?

I love workshop. I know it sounds super cheesy, but I do. I love being able to help someone work their piece into something new. By being a bit removed from the project, one can give suggestions that the author hasn’t seen before. It’s so exciting to be able to tell the writer your ideas for their work.

Our workshops were especially effective. With having limited time for both praise and critique, our class was able to talk through the piece and help the author push the piece further. We got to show them where we wanted more and where we wanted less. And I’ve this done this workshop format before. But this class was so free about their comments and no one seemed to feel hurt about any of the comments.

This was refreshing. To be able to be honest about the changes I thought should be made without fear of damaging the author’s feelings. It allowed me to fully state my thoughts and truly help the author.

So, thank you to my Gateway class for being open to change and critique!

-Adele

2 thoughts to “Who else loved workshop?”

1. I completely agree with you about workshops. I absolutely loved it especially the critiques. I think that to improve in writing you have to be very open to helpful criticism and our classmates were very helpful indeed.

2. I loved workshop, too! Our class definitely made me appreciate workshop in a new way. We were able to be funny together but also constructive and serious. It was a nice experience.