Hi!

Hi everyone!

My name is Nicole Tsuno and I am a sophomore in the school of LSA. I am a Political Science major, and I hope to attend law school after graduating. I play the trumpet in the University of Michigan Marching Band (just look for the really short one on the field). I also am a reporter for the Michigan Daily. Besides music, another one of my favorite pastimes is complaining about Michigan’s cold weather and continuously being shocked every time it snows! I am from Pleasanton, California, which is about fifty minutes inland from San Francisco. One of my favorite things I did in San Francisco was help teach a citizenship class where I helped immigrants prepare for their naturalization tests and learn English as a second language. Other hobbies include running, making birthday gifts, discussing American Constitutionalism and my favorite court cases (my boyfriend says to take this out if I want to make friends!!!!!), and spending a concerning amount of time organizing my Google Calendar. 🙂

I have always considered writing to be both one of my passions and one of my strengths. However, I often unconsciously neglect writing when I get busy. The Minor in Writing Program provides a consistent way for me to maintain and enhance my writing skills. Additionally, I have also felt that in previous writing courses, I haven’t received beneficial constructive criticism from my peers. I am extremely excited to get to know you all and have you destroy my work. Finally, I am a vicious perfectionist. I am anxious but eager to learn how to fail, as Professor McDaniel has already guaranteed.

I most admire the work of Argentinian short-story writer Jorge Luis Borges. My favorite work by him is entitled the Library of Babel. In the story, the Library contains an indefinite amount of galleries and inside an infinite amount of books with every combination of letters and verbal structures so that one book might only vary from another by a single letter. The inhabitants of the library are first enthralled with the prospect of having a book to solve each problem of the world, but are later brutalized by the realization that the largeness of the library made finding their own personal vindications infinitesimal. My favorite line is “You who read me, are you sure of understanding my language?” In this way, Borges’s story is not only self-conscious of its existence as language, but also the linguistic narcissism that comes from being an outsider to art. All of Borges work is composed of overwhelming paradoxes that I don’t even know how to begin to write. The almost psychedelic yet moralistic effect of his writing is something I would hope to emulate in the future.