Introduction

Hi everyone! My name is Anna and I’m currently a sophomore in LSA, but I am planning to transfer into the College of Engineering. I was born in Baltimore, Maryland and lived there my whole life until coming to Ann Arbor. I have always loved writing and music (I have been playing drums since I was 12 and singing since I was 14), but it wasn’t until high school that I really got comfortable in the STEM fields. The issue with majoring in a hard science like engineering is that you never have to write, so a lot of engineers lose that skill over time, and I want the Minor in Writing to help me to continue developing as a writer. Last year I was a part of the Lloyd Hall Scholars Program, which is how I found out about the minor, and I took some classes through that program that challenged me to write in different genres that never came up in high school. One of my assignments during the Fall semester was to write a review on an album, movie, or book, for example, which I had never gotten the opportunity to write in an academic setting.

It has always been hard for me to answer the question, “what is your favorite book”, but I can say without a doubt that A Room of One’s Own by Virginia Woolf, while it is technically considered an essay, is the piece of writing that I most want to emulate someday. The concept of writing in the “stream of consciousness” inspired me when I read it in senior year of high school, a time when I was writing countless college essays, wishing I could make them more interesting. I obviously am nowhere near mastering that style of writing, but it is definitely a dream of mine to be able to write something that contains so much wisdom without reading like the typical novel or memoir.

Anna Fedder

Current sophomore at UM minoring in writing with an undecided major.