Minor in Writing Introduction

Hi everyone!

My name is Matisse Rogers and I am a junior from Minneapolis, Minnesota. I am in the Gerald R. Ford School of Public Policy, and though I haven’t decided on a focus area yet, I am extremely interested in domestic social policy. After graduation, I hope to enroll in law school and pursue a career in civil rights or employment/labor law. However, these plans are extremely subject to change in the next several years. Regardless of what I end up doing after graduation, I know that graduating as a strong writer will be helpful.

Outside of class, I am the Business Manager of the Michiganensian Yearbook, a position that has been equally demanding and rewarding. It allows me to get marketing and business experience, which is a nice change of pace from the Ford school and the classes I typically take. Additionally, I am a member of Kappa Alpha Pi Pre-Law Fraternity and the Shipman Scholarship Society. Both of these communities have been important in shaping my time on campus and have led me to meet my closest friends. I love going to concerts and and staying informed on hip-hop culture, as well as watching The Office and reading the news (my favorite outlet is the New York Times).

The Minor in Writing program was most compelling to me because it offers a platform to improve upon the organization and presentation of my academic writing. I have a bit of an aversion to creative writing, but I’d love to explore this as well. I have always been a passionate writer, but I haven’t had the time to dedicate myself to growing as a writer since coming to the University of Michigan. I feel that I haven’t received constructive feedback and even when I have, I didn’t have the time or capacity to digest it in a productive way. My writing has been confined to the same “comfort zone” since freshman year, and I’m excited to extend beyond this in the MiW program.