Authoritative vs. Trustworthy

A. Authoritative, but not trustworthy:

I chose this article because, despite being included in the Harvard Business Review, and being CEO of T-mobile, a relatively prosperous and well-known company, John Legere seems to lack a crucial aspect of leadership: trustworthiness. Simply reading the headline gives his advice a somewhat sleazy and unprofessional aura, which is ultimately what yielded my distrust. The further I read into the article, the less I believed what he was saying. Although these tactics may have worked in his situation, I personally believe they were a fluke, and that “trash-talking rivals” will never prove more successful than actually developing a strong, competitive product/service. Regardless of content, it is the manner in which he delivers such advice — his cocky tone and unapologetic diction — which truly make him, in my opinion, untrustworthy, for he does not embody characteristics of a business leader which I would normally respect and trust.

B. Trustworthy, but not authoritative:

This piece, in my opinion, lacks authority only due to the fact that it is an op-ed. While everyone is entitled to their own opinion, conveying that you are a figure who’s opinion can/should be trusted is not easy, however, in this category, Leonhardt is successful. My sense of Leonhard’s trustworthiness derives from the nature of his piece; it is stacked with factual information, diagrams, and quotes from professionals who have the authority he lacks, lending credibility to his message.