How to Write ~Prose~

The genre of prose refers to simple statements being used to communicate a topic or idea in a lyrical way. It is a type of poetry that focuses less on rhythm and rhyme. It tends to highlight ideas in an eloquent way that is easy for the reader to grasp. It attempts to make you feel something, just like any type of writing.

Prose is less formal than traditional poetry, and it does not focus on structure and gimmicks as much. Prose focuses on descriptors often to convey a more realistic tone. It also tends to use longer sentences and structures the content into an essay

style. Although prose does use longer sentences, it is important to remain concise and in present tone. Prose sounds much more natural.

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/qx5P5FFz0Jc/hqdefault.jpg

Below are some easy steps to take to write your ~prose~ piece:

1. Identify the type of prose you want to write. Depending on this selection, you will be able to dive into the semantics and structure of your piece.
  2. After deciding on the type of prose you want to write (i.e. oratory, short story, parable, etc.), you want to identify the core message you want to relay in your piece.
  3. Then begin to formulate your piece using dramatic, favor crisp sentences, and conjure metaphors.
  4. Many prose piece focus on telling a story or using multiple stories to convey messages.

Prose can be done in multiple shapes and forms, but the differentiating factors of a prose piece are that it conveys a story through descriptive jargon. Each piece does not tell the story, but it rather shows the story. By using effective descriptors, readers gain a better understanding of exactly what the author is trying to convey with each sentence.

Once again, I will be expanding on the Facebook post I made the night of the election. This time I will be turning it into a prose piece accounting how I have felt over the past 10 months. President Trump has made headlines too many times for often bizarre, confusing statements. I will describe how each post has made me fell. I will choose 3 policies or tweets to expand on. The primary audience I hope to reach is anyone that has felt similar sentiments as myself. This could include women of color, educated women, and college women, and people of color.

In each paragraph, I will focus one policy or tweet and explain how it made me feel. Using story telling tactics, I will compose an oratory broken down into 10 mini stories about how each instance made me feel. I will write about confusion, hopelessness, despair, new beginnings, and many other specific feelings or notions. Each story will also have some element of finding strength through this all. It is important to stand up for what you believe in. Through the Trump Presidency, there were many instances of people standing up against his administration. From The Women’s March to Black Lives Matter, people will stand up against those who try to defy them. We are always stronger together, and in my pieces I will highlight the times when leaning on one another led to a better ending.

2 thoughts to “How to Write ~Prose~”

1. Mira,

I am so interested to read your sketch draft… this sounds like it is going to be great. I think that this post could also have an invoked audience of those who didn’t realize just how much the resulting events of the election have effected minorities. I love the way that you are using this assignment to speak up for what you believe in and I really connected personally with your pieces. Thank you for this!

2. Hi Mira! I think the prose genre will be a great way to flesh out your feelings at the time of the Trump election in a more casual story format, and thus relatable to a more casual audience. By telling it in prose, weaving in the emotional threads in the story format sounds it’ll be super interesting to see, and I look forward to it!