IN CASE YOU MISSED IT: Creating a Rubric for a Website You Haven’t Yet Created

This week in class, we were asked to create a rubric for our individual capstone projects, based off of rubrics we were given in previous classes. Luckily for me, many of my classes this semester are paper driven, so I have multiple rubric styles to draw on. Though my capstone project is not by any means a paper, the rubric I settled on from one of my current classes helped me create a solid format for my project to be graded off of. The rubric I created consisted of a grid style format, with six different categories to analyze for a grade. Each category (row) could be given an A, B, C or D/F grade (column) based on the quality of the work provided. The grid detailed what each category would look like in terms of the grade given. Each letter grade was then equated to a certain point value (0-4). In total, the website for my capstone project could earn a total of 24 points based off of my grading scale. Coming into class I felt confident that this would be a good format to use for the purpose of my capstone project.

After workshopping our rubrics and seeing what format my classmates chose to use for their individual capstone projects, I came across another rubric format that I think would work equally as well, if not better in assessing my website. Though I would still keep the same categories (rows) I have on my current rubric, the following two columns would list an explanation of that category and then a score. Within each explanation, I would use bullet points and would assign a point value to each point. The score would be a combination of the total number of points I would earn. The scores for each category would then add up to 100. By using this rubric format, I think I will better be able to break down the aspects of my website and how many points should be equated to those aspects. Because my project is still in the works, I struggle with assessing the number of points each bullet will have. For now, I will base the points off of the time commitment and level of commitment I am assuming each task will take. There is always room for revision if anything changes.

MiW Bloggers: What rubrics have worked best for you?

One thought to “IN CASE YOU MISSED IT: Creating a Rubric for a Website You Haven’t Yet Created”

1. Allyson – thank you for sharing your rubric as well as a few specific examples in class this past week. It seems your overall grid format and descriptions for each grade set a high standard, which will guide you towards the creation of an excellent project. I used the same process you did to assign grades/points within my rubric. However, I wonder if assigning point values based on the time required to complete each task is appropriate, considering time may not necessarily correlate to the importance of any single component to the overall project. Keeping this in mind, what are your thoughts on T’s comment from class about removing the letter grades, to make the rubric feel less constricting and/or daunting? I personally prefer assigning points to keep me on track and more clearly direct my attention, though it definitely makes things feel more “real” in terms of the capstone project and earning a grade at the end.

I look forward to hearing more about your rubric, and your experience progressing from the rubric to the actual realization of your project in class throughout the coming weeks. – Jeremy