Say Hello To My Little Movie Poster

The theory I propose about Stephen King’s “The Body” is one where King is actually writing about himself writing about his own childhood and his experience seeing a dead body through the narrator (a horror story writer) writing about his childhood experiences. This movie poster for a remake of Stand By Me (a movie based on “The Body”) will allow me to visualize this complex idea by superimposing a childhood Stephen King and an adult Stephen King behind their respective characters in the movie looking in the direction of a dead body. I will include a dark color scheme to portray the bleak feeling of the dead body discovery and prominently feature the names of the actors and the director. The primary audience for my movie poster is King enthusiasts who enjoyed Stand By Me, “The Body”, or simply enjoy movies in general. My secondary audience will be general movie goers who I hope to intrigue right away the first time they see the poster in order to get them to come see the movie. Despite the limited word usage a poster allows me, the ability to visualize the theory will go a long way in helping people comprehend and follow what I am proposing.

To begin on a personal note, I enjoyed this genre analysis much more than the first. I am a huge movie person and that’s why I believe I will very much enjoy this experimentation process. The genre I will be working with in experiment #2 is movie posters. I think movie posters do a great job of providing a lot of critical information in a very compact medium. These posters generally include the names of the main actors prominently displayed in large, bolded text. This helps show that one of the main factors of an individual choosing to see a movie is who they will be seeing in it. The posters also include a tagline, a short statement intended to intrigue the audience. This, along with the captivating visual, is crucial to the movie’s success as with seemingly 10-20 movies in a theater at any given time, there are always other options if a tagline or visual does not grasp the audience’s attention. Although some of the placements of specific conventional items included on movie posters are variable, it is common to see a visual in the middle – top of the poster. This visual usually involves at least one of the main cast members. A few of the other conventions include:

• The name of the director (the name’s prominence is usually relative to how big the director is)
  • The name of the biggest actor is somehow set apart from the name of supporting actors (i.e. bigger font, bold font, etc.)
  • An intriguing color scheme that helps to indicate the mood of the film
  • A release date or some kind of timeline indicating when the film will be in theaters (i.e. “Coming This Summer”)
  • A limited amount of informative text about the movie

As we look at some of the posters featured throughout this post, they all feature at least a few of the contentions mentioned above. The Inception poster is special to me as this movie is the driving force behind my theory about King (dreams within dreams, stories within stories, that kind of thing). It utilizes all of the conventions as it displays Christopher Nolan’s name, very very prominently displays Leonardo DiCaprio’s name, has a mysterious looking color scheme and visual, and prominently displays the release date in bold font at the bottom. Finally, it has a very short tagline as the only informative text about the actual movie itself.

Inception-movie-poster

The poster for Scarface (an all time personal favorite movie), is an example that doesn’t necessarily fit the exact mold of the typical conventions in a movie poster. The Scarface poster displays much more text and places a ton of emphasis of the lead actor Al Pacino. It has his name displayed at the top but unlike most posters, does not show any supporting cast. This could be because as far as I know, he was far and wide the most famous actor in the movie so it may have seemed prudent to just focus on him. It also features an interesting color scheme of black and white which (having seen the film) represents the constant internal conflicts he has with himself as well as the white representing the ginormous importance cocaine has throughout the movie. The poster does also feature the director.

The specific strategies I plan on borrowing include the prominent name of a big-time director. I plan on using Christopher Nolan as he directed Inception and Inception is once again the driving force behind the creation of my theory about “The Body”. I also plan to put Stephen King and whoever will be playing Gordon name’s at the top of the poster and have them both be in the primary visual. I will include when the movie will be in theaters, and I don’t plan to use any informative text with the exception of the tagline.

2 thoughts to “Say Hello To My Little Movie Poster”

1. Hey Jacob,
    Wow, I’m intrigued at the idea of making a movie poster for a movie that doesn’t exist–that sounds super cool! I can tell how much you have thought about this concept since we last spoke, and I am happy to see examples of other’s movie posters here. I am really looking forward to seeing how your poster turns out with the overlapping faces. Anyway best of luck finding cool references online!

2. Hi Jacob,
    I really like the creativity of the movie poster idea. You have a lot of room to play around with symbolism and artistic techniques. I think this is a really cool idea to display your thoughts on the original book. I think looking at good and bad examples of movie posters would be one of the best ways to decide what conventions you want to use in your own poster. I’m looking forward to see how this turns out!