Trustworthy and Authoritative

Buzzfeed articles, in my opinion, are not authoritative, but I generally trust them. They always make corrections, and I read the articles knowing something could be inaccurate. They don’t have the authority to report anything with very high stakes, and their information usually comes from outside sources. I trust them enough to be interested in what they have to say.

I read The Travels of Sire John Mandeville for a class this semester, which is not an article, but it’s definitely an example of someone who is authoritative but not at all trustworthy. This is medieval travel literature, written by a knight, supposedly accounting for his travels around the world and the things he saw in different countries. It has been known for a long time that almost all of what he said was untrue. At that time, it was one of the most referenced texts for travelers, even though it was mostly made up or translated from medieval myths. He had the authority, being a knight in medieval times, and his book is still being read today, but it’s obvious now that he cannot be trusted.