Trustworthy vs. Authoritative

While looking for an example of either writing that was authoritative, but untrustworthy, or trustworthy, but not authoritative, I turned to Fox News on a whim. After reading quite a few articles (and being slightly irritated by most) I found one that I thought was trustworthy, but not authoritative. “Trust is a great champion of religious liberty – a welcome change from Obama”, was written by Tony Perkins. The article, which discussed both how Trump is doing more to defend Christianity as well as Perkin’s opinion on issues involving Christianity in the Middle East, appeared to be trustworthy.  The author was a member of the Louisiana House of Representatives and the article comes from Fox News. His quotes and many of the facts he was using to set up his argument were also factual (I looked them up). Yet, the method in which he presented the facts and how he used them to back up his opinions made him extremely unauthoritative. His complete lack of regard for the religious freedom of any religion other than his own made his opinions and arguments obsolete for me. While he may have a lot of knowledge about his own experiences, it was hard to listen to him critique others when he hasn’t considered their perspective, and doesn’t care to. Even though I believed his facts, I didn’t believe him as an author at all.

An example of a piece of writing that is authoritative, but untrustworthy is an article in CNN by Peggy Drexler, “What young Obama’s letters revel”. It is an authoritative piece, Drexler is a two time author and her writing is being published in CNN, a well-known and relatively trusted news outlet. However, her actual writing appears untrustworthy. While she is drawing many conclusions from recently released letters written by a young Obama, she doesn’t provide any content of the letters other than direct quote. It was hard to believe the inferences she was making and the opinions she had when there was nothing to back up her claims other than the assumption that she had read the letters and that her conclusions were the only conclusions. In addition, many of her conclusions were extremely overarching and broad, some could have been made without the context of Obama’s letters. She transitions more from discussing Obama’s actual letters to discussing the importance of letter writing in general and how it feels to be an adolescent. This is also not what I was expecting to read based on the headline of the article, which leads me to further classify her as untrustworthy.