Ahead, and Behind

My capstone project has been progressing rather quickly this week, compared to weeks past. I have now finalized the data collection and statistical analysis necessary to write a publishable research manuscript, and created various tables and graphs to present the results in an accessible manner. The abstract, introduction, methods, and references are also written, and my mentor has already reviewed these components. Nonetheless, I can’t seem to figure out whether I am ahead of schedule, right where I need to be, or wildly behind.

I still need to write the results, discussion, and conclusion sections of my research article; create a website to house the final capstone project; write the Introduction Essay; and create an annotated bibliography to accompany my work. Additionally, the University of Michigan Pediatric Research Symposium, at which I will be giving a talk about my capstone project, is quickly approaching and I have yet to begin the accompanying PowerPoint that will supplement my presentation. It seems the uncertainty surrounding how much time it will take to complete the abovementioned tasks is fueling my uneasy feeling.

Nonetheless, I am looking forward to realizing the project I set out to complete, and my eagerness to potentially publish the research manuscript at the end of the term is especially motivating. After all, I find myself in this position at the mid-way point of almost every term, and up until this point, things have always worked out in the end. I am (sub)consciously depending on the same outcome in 6 short weeks.

One thought to “Ahead, and Behind”

1. As another moderately-stressed, eerily-hopeful Minor in Writing brat, I feel you.

It’s weird because I know that, at the end of the day (or should we say, semester) everything is going to be just fine. We will all turn in our Capstone materials to T and nobody will throw up or cry. We will all attend the Minor in Writing showcase and nobody will lose a leg.

But, at the same time, even if we are able to logically reassure ourselves, these next six weeks (technically, more like 5.5, and we’ve got Thanksgiving thrown in there) are going to fly by.

I feel like we can’t really compare our projects to each others’, which is both a blessing and a curse. It’s great in the fact that we can’t get ourselves worked up about bench marking our work against our peers but it’s scary because we don’t have that sort of security in knowing that each other are going through the same thing.

I remember in our small group meetings that you had expressed worried about this. I was glad you said something, because I was afraid to. I’m not really sure why that was, because I know that no one in this room will judge me for having less content on my site (or even a site –period– at this point). Maybe it’s because for basically all our time here at U of M, our classes moved through content together as a herd. Everyone in one class had an exam on March 12th; everyone in another class had a paper due on April 2nd. And now, we just…don’t.

From me seeing your project, I don’t think you have anything to worry about. I just think yours is really research and form driven, and that rightfully takes up a crapload of your time.

We’re all gonna make it.