Thoughts on Gateway Project

For my gateway project, I am looking at how people observe or react to emotional displays in public as compared to how they wish their own public emotional displays were viewed. I am interested in how I came from my original piece to this, which I will detail in this blog post. Here we go!

When we were asked to think of a written work of ours we would like to revisit, I was awash with ideas, though each piece I thought of had different reasons. One essay I wanted to rewrite because I slacked off and it did not turn out well. Another was an opinion piece, and my opinion had changed in the years afterward. This list and those reasons could continue for awhile, but I eventually settled on a poem I had written for a high school creative writing class. I (like to think I) had become a much better writer and poet in the interim, but there was one line that I really did like and still consider it one of my favorite lines I have written. To be fair, the rest of the poem was complete garbage.

This poem, in essence, talked about childhood hypersensitivity to emotions, pain, noise, etc. While growing as a human numbed down most of the unbearable sensitivity I had as a child, there were still aspects that influenced the way I interacted with the world, and I thought it would be rather interesting to see if anyone else felt that way. I do think I kept that theme in my final project for this class and am excited to see what the numerous surveys and interviews I have reveal.

Meghan Brody

Meghan Brody. B.A. History & Writing. LSA Senior. Aspiring librarian.