Tracking an Author (x2)

I forgot to post last week, so I am posting about two authors this week. Both of the authors I chose to track are columnists for The New York Times, which I felt was appropriate given the fact that the majority of the authors I have tracked in weeks past have been published in the NYT.

The first is Maureen Dowd, who previously worked at Time magazine and Washington Star. Although the venues in which she has been published are limited, the scope of her work is not. Despite currently being a reporter on current (and often controversial) affairs, Dowd was originally an editorial assistant turned reported who often covered sports news before moving onto metropolitan news. I thought this was interesting because it reminded me of Chuck Klosterman, an author I have tracked previously, who is/was heavily involved in the world of sports writing, and has been published in the NYT.

The second author I chose to follow is Gail Collins, a fellow NYT’s columnist who is, like Dowd, known for her liberal/progressive journalism. Unlike Dowd, however, Collins’ work has been published in/by several venues. This includes the Hartford Advocate, the Connecticut State News Bureau (an organization she founded herself), the Connecticut Business Journal, United Press International, New York Daily News, and Newsday, all before joining the NYT and becoming its first-ever female Editorial Page Editor (!!) before returning to her position as a columnist. Collins has also written several books such as When Everything Changed: The Amazing Journey of American Women from 1960 to the Present, The Millennium Book, Scorpion Tongues: Gossip, Celebrity and American Politics, America’s Women: Four Hundred Years of Dolls, Drudges, Helpmates, and Heroines, As Texas Goes: How the Lone Star State Hijacked the American Agenda, and the introduction for The Feminine Mystique, of which I have read excerpts for one of my other classes (small world).