In my last post I discussed how I’ve been moving past the academic voice I am used to. Now that I’m trying to write in a “non-expert” style, I’ve decided to structure my project site as a blog (which you can view here). I am dividing my writing into blog posts, each of which will discuss one of the things I learned about urban informatics this semester. This has been made really easy by Wix’s blog post feature, where all I had to do was insert the content into a template and it is automatically organized into the stream format that is recognizable as a blog.
I like this format because I think that I can add new writing to it in the future, and maybe adapt it into a blog that I will update regularly. Although I’m proud of the work that I have done this semester, I have this strange feeling that it should have been easier. Now that my site is finally coming together, it seems like a lot more straightforward of a project than it was. I think this is because I didn’t start off with a familiarity with either the subject matter or the genre that I was writing in, and had to learn both on the fly. Confusion and uncertainty about what I was doing, or what I should do, caused my progress to be slow. And all of the background research I did was necessary to make my blog about its current subject matter. So on second thought, I think that this seeming inefficiency was actually the necessary experimentation I needed to go through to make my project site what it has ended up being.