Finding My Voice

One of the biggest problems I ran into when crafting my website was finding an appropriate voice for my content. In my original plan, outlined in experiment #3, I spoke about the need to maintain an authoritative voice free from my own opinions. Ideally, this would look like a history textbook or, for my intent of disproving myths about the South, an entry on snopes. I chose this route because I thought it would give me credibility as a historical writer because it would show that I’m not allowing my own biases to creep into my work. However, in practice, I quickly realized this is not the route I wanted to take. If rereading my writing sounded to dry to me (which it did before changing the voice), it would be certainly be too dry for anyone who may potentially be interested about the topic. Additionally, I felt an obligation to state how dangerous these misconceptions are, despite this inherently being based on my own personal opinions. You wouldn’t find a history book that accused confederate troops of being racists and terrible people (most of them would focus on objectivity and implicitly force their readers to consider “both sides” of the issue); however, I decided that it would be disingenuous for me to act as if that’s how I truly feel. Because this topic is so personal to me, I decided that I wanted to interject my own opinions in. As a result, the piece is perhaps less formal than other similar sites  however, it more accurately reflects my beliefs and values.