Following a Writer: Emily Yoffe

This last writer that I want to highlight actually came to me in just in the course of me browsing the news, which is unique from my other posts where I typically had to seek out interesting pieces to write on. Following the same theme as my last couple of posts, the article was published on Politico and was titled “Why the #MeToo Moment Should Be Ready for a Backlash,” and was written by Emily Yoffe. I do not often read Politico, but I definitely could feel the difference of political allegiance in some of the things Yoffe says. For instance, Yoffe makes a major point of talking about Title IX and how it, in her opinion, made things worse on college campuses in how it denied accused male students due-process. That statement alone would not necessarily be out of place in a venue like The New York Times, but when Yoffe went on to actually nod in approval toward’s the recent backing-away from Title IX reforms that Trump’s administration has done recently. I did not know the details of this move, only ever hearing that “Trump and Devos are getting rid of measures that prevent sexual assault and protect victims” and coverage of such opinions, never having realized that there were actually a fair amount of liberal institutions that approved of Devos’ move, according to Yoffe. While I have mixed feelings about these specific issues (and not nearly enough confidence in my information to argue one way or the other), I must admit I was somewhat shocked at not having heard this opinion in any other reading I had done on the subject. On its own that revelation alone would have made reading Yoffe’s worth it, but she proves herself a persuasive and skilled writer regardless.

Yoffe has a unique and varied history of writing, according to what I could find on her online. She is current contributor for The Atlantic and previously was a contributor for Slate for a number of years, as well as being published in places like The Times, The Washington Post, and, obviously, Politico. At Slate she ran the “Dear Prudence” advice column for a time and appeared on The Colbert Report twice, which says plenty about her personality to me. She also has a book published titled What the Dog Did: Tales from a Formerly Reluctant Dog Owner, just in case her repertoire needed to get a bit more unique. Exploring Yoffe’s career and writing repeatedly defied my expectations for exactly what someone classified as a writer can be. Many of my posts were on writers with very particular focuses, which was intimidating as I have never felt myself to be expert enough on anything to write on it, but Yoffe proves that one need not focus so severely in order to write on a subject in an intellectual and admirable way.