Following an author: Jia Tolentino

This week, I came across the most recent article of December 4th issue, titled ‘Where Millennials Come From” by Jia Tolentino. I had stopped following her for a while since I last read her articles, however, she published in The New Yorker almost after a month. This article is almost an accurate representation of the Millennial generation that effectively discusses their personality, behavior, and actions. Style wise, I really liked how she always brings in informative research and analysis to the claims that she makes, increasing her credibility. For example, she says that “...But the popular image of this generation—given its name, in 1987, by William Strauss and Neil Howe—has long been connected with the notion of disruptive self-interest.” which is supported by this research, “Over the past decade, that connection has been codified by Jean Twenge, a psychology professor at San Diego State University, who writes about those younger than herself with an air of pragmatic evenhandedness and an undercurrent of moral alarm.” While making my final project, I would like to use some of her techniques which refines the quality and provides easy readability of the material presented.

I also liked how she brings in personal, past experiences when she talks about herself as a millennial and how she thought about certain things in certain ways. I think that the right balance between information and personal narrative is a good tactic to gain trust from the readers. Content wise, I think that she makes valuable points about Millennials which are true in most instances and have almost been “accepted” in the society. As a university student, she talks about “debt-free students” which I could personally relate myself to. Nonetheless, she also touches upon certain political and policy framework affecting millennials for they are the faces of tomorrow.

Article link: https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2017/12/04/where-millennials-come-from

Apoorvee Singhal

Hopeless romantic, fiction enthusiast, eternally loves coffee and (bougie) brunch