Looking Back at an Author

For one of my experiments, I wrote in the genre analysis section about one of the inspirations for my final project. This piece was Detroit, an American Autopsy, by Charlie LeDuff. Mr. LeDuff is a personality in the Detroit media scene to say the least, and his book about Detroit rattled cages, among other things. What inspires me about his piece wasn’t his crass (and sometimes borderline offensive) subjugation of the City of Detroit, but was rather his command of the language and style in which he reflects on his own life and his own story through the lens of place. As a geography interpreted person, who cares a lot about location, place, and physical existence, it was very exciting to read his story. As a journalist, he rattled cages, and did things that came under fire from many Detroit residents. However the use of place was something he did very well. For a news segment for Fox 2, he once kayaked the Rouge River in Detroit, while attempting to highlight the levels of pollution that were effecting the river. He also came under fire for highlighting the plight of EMT workers in Detroit through a secret ride along. While this may be getting off track, the point of this is to emphasize that my story is as much about place and time as it is about me. In doing so, it is crucial that I engage my readers with my content, and ensure that they are well connected to my place, almost being dragged in at times to ensure participation, rather than risking the consequences of failing to captivate the reader.