Quotes from Strayed that strayed in my mind

“Nobody will protect you from your suffering. It’s just there, and you have to survive it. You have to endure it. The healing – the genuine healing, the actual real down-on-your-knees-in-the-mud change- is entirely and absolutely up to you.”

“You get to define the terms of your life.”

“Your light. The one that goes blink, blink, blink inside your chest when you know what you’re doing is right. Listen to it. Trust it. Let it make you stronger than you are.”

“People who decided simply to live their truth, even when doing so wasn’t simple. Each and every one of them had to courage to say, This is who I am even if you’ll crucify me for it.”

“Trust yourself. Trusting yourself means living out what you already know to be true.”

“Nobody is going to give you a thing. You have to give it to yourself. You have to tell us what you have to say.”

“The only way you’ll find out if you “have it in you” is to get to work and see if you do. The only way to override your “limitations, insecurities, jealousies, and ineptitude” is to produce. You have limitations. You are in some ways inept. This is true of every writer, and it’s especially true of writers who are twenty-six. You will feel insecure and jealous. How much power you give those feelings is entirely up to you.”

“To be genuine means to be actual, to be true, to be sincere and honest.”

“Not to deny your grief, but rather to put into perspective what seems to be most true.”

“Perhaps the first step to getting over this is to acknowledge that what happened was indeed deeply misfortunate.”

“Our minds are small, but our hearts are big. Just about every one of us has fucked up at one point or another.”

“Humans are beautifully imperfect and complex. We’re horny, ass-saving, ego-driven drug fiends, among other, more noble things.”

“It will open up your life.”

“But compassion isn’t about solutions. It’s about giving all the love you’ve got.”

“That life is long, that people both change and remain the same, that every last one of us will need to fuck up and be forgiven, that we’re all just walking and walking and walking and trying to find our way, that all roads lead eventually to the mountaintop.”

“It’s a roiling stew of fear and need and desire and love and the hunger to be loved.”

“I’m not suggesting that one deny negative emotions, but rather that you accept them and move through them by embracing the power we have to keep from wallowing in emotions that don’t serve us well.”

And of these, lies very many cliches. But yet I find myself engulfed in these people’s stories and their honesty and their raw emotion. I feel with them. I feel for them. I relate to them. Strayed doesn’t make you feel sorry for them, or for yourself for feeling the same way as them. She rather turns around and says take control of your life. This, I enjoy. This, I find intriguing.