Introduction

Hi my name is Delaney Walker. Yes, I know I have the same name as an NFL tight end and no you are not the first person to tell me that. If you don’t know who he is well honestly that makes me happy. Anyway his first name isn’t actually Delanie, its Hubert but he goes by Delanie (his middle name) because I guess he doesn’t want to be called Hubert. I get that. Except I used to dread the first day of school or a substitute teacher because no one could ever pronounce my name. In preschool I hated how long it was. I always wanted a short simple name, but not a name a lot of people had. I liked the name Zoe. So I guess I don’t really understand why he would want to be called Delanie, but I guess it’s better than Hubert (sorry if your name is Hubert and you’re reading this). Anyway a lot of people ask me if I’m named after this football player. Since his career started when I was in middle school I am going to have to answer that question with a hard no. I’m not really sure how I got my name. I know I am named after my great grandmother Diane, but I am not sure where my parents came up with the name Delaney. I’ve heard many stories, Delaney was someone my parents once knew or the actress Dana Delaney. Anyway I’m not sure, but there is a Jimmy Buffet song called, “Delaney talks to Statues” and it pretty accurately describes me as a child. The funny thing is he wrote that song about his daughter, who’s full name is Sarah Delaney Buffet, but she also goes by Delaney. I don’t understand all these people using their middle name as their main name which happens to be my first name. It’s ironic because I am a middle child. So I guess it all makes sense. I also like football and singing. I also like ben & jerry’s cookie dough ice cream, but I’m lactose intolerant so it’s a dilemma. That has nothing to do with my name.

One thought to “Introduction”

1. this made me laugh (especially the Ben & Jerry’s tangent at the end). I definitely had no idea who (the other) Delanie Walker was, so hopefully that makes you feel a little better about it. I really like the stream-of-consciousness style of writing here, and I think it works particularly well for an introduction. I felt like I really got to see inside your mind for a minute, which is probably what a good introduction is all about, right?