Introduction: Who am I?

My name is Caitlyn. My mom once told me that if I were a boy, she would have named me Christian. I’m not named after anyone in particular, my mom just likes names that end with ‘n’. Hence, my older sister’s name is Allyson. Then there’s my last name, Zawideh, which puts me at the end of every alphabetical list I’ve ever been on. I was always last to take my yearbook photo in school. Alphabetically assigned seats always put me in the back of the room. My locker was always at the very end of the hallway. I don’t mind being at the end of the alphabet so much now. Yearbook photos and locker placement are no longer things I need to worry about.

Once, I asked my dad what our last name means. He told me he couldn’t remember exactly, but it might mean “great” or “great ones,” something like that.

We called his mom to ask, and she replied, “Great, good, some of us are okay.”

Names are always the first thing we think to give in an introduction, and they are important insofar that people know how to address you, but other than that, they say nothing about who you are as a person. When we are asked to give an introduction, we are answering the question “Who am I?” If given enough time, this question can easily become an existential one. Instead of dwelling on the existential, here are some icebreaker-eque fun facts:

• I’m a Sophomore studying Computer Science
  • I transferred here last semester from Michigan State
  • My favorite movie is Baby Driver 
  • Once, a Buzzfeed quiz told me if I were a character on Friends I would be Rachel.
  • Buzzfeed should know that I’m a Chandler.
  • If I found a genie in a bottle that would grant me three wishes, my first wish would definitely be to write better introductions.

3 thoughts to “Introduction: Who am I?”

1. I too am Chandler Bing, so I’m glad we can relate on that level. I like learning specific facts about people and I really am interested in names that have meaning/like learning their origins because mine has almost no significance so thanks for sharing.

2. It’s funny you mention the message in a bottle thing, because it was something I recently discussed with my mom. I think that I should wish to have a job out of college, and she seems to agree. I think writing introductions would be a good for me too as I really had trouble. I wish I had the fashion sense of Rachel, but I am totally Chandler too. Buzzfeed just isn’t always right I guess (shocking!)

3. As someone with a B last name, I always wondered what it would be like to have a Z last name — I hope you love it. Big fan of your list — Chandler it is.