Is this a dead end?

Hi everyone,

Maybe you can all help me to see how my own interests can be better translated into a substantial argument that is appealing to the largest audience I could get to meet me halfway.

I’m considering (among other things) writing about sub-cultures/lifestyle branding. This is a broad way to phrase it, but what I mean is that the phenomena of multiple categories of seemingly trivial, preference-based life choices, such as decisions of food and clothing, have been lumped together to form sub-cultures in society. For example, the American brand, Tory Burch, includes a list of restaurant recommendations on the official website. When I looked at this while trying to “make the familiar strange,” it was intriguing to me. However, I am worried that this may just be an argument that people who enjoy one thing are likely to enjoy another.

I am particularly interested in the classic American (preppy, as many name it) style and lifestyle, but I’m not sure how to write about this with more novelty. Maybe I can incorporate talk of lifestyle branding? What would that look like?

How can I take this topic beyond the stage of observing what a lot of people have in common?

Thanks for your help!

One thought to “Is this a dead end?”

1. This topic sounds fascinating to me…maybe you could approach it from a brand identity perspective. Take Tory Burch, for example. Despite being first and foremost a retailer, it is evident that it is associating its brand with other elements of a lifestyle, such as food, and maybe even travel. I also think about Lululemon in this context, particularly how it has developed different activities or retreats in recent years despite its roots in athletic clothing retail. Why do you think these brands may be doing this? Do you, as a customer (perhaps), feel like you identify more with a brand that curates a profile and expresses certain values, rather than a brand that more or less just wants to sell a product? I also think it could be interesting to approach this from more of a societal/cultural perspective, questioning what this move toward “brand identities” by retailers says about consumers in general, and how technology, specifically social media, may be playing a part?
    These are some questions to consider, hopefully they help!